17 January 2014

The thing about Twitter

I found a writers' community at Twitter. Writers of all types and flavors. Editors. Publishers. Book reviewers. E-zines. Lit-zines. Indy book promoters. Strangers all, until that first reply, the retweet, the favorite. Suddenly, friendly acquaintances. Bonded by mutual interest. A world-wide community.

What I like best about a Twitter feed is the focus. We tweet about reading and writing. We share each other's recommendations, and frustrations. We delight in the discovery of great writing. We shout out: what are you reading this weekend?

Of course now and then, some members of the twitter feed talk about their kids. Their struggles for time to write. Occasionally I counsel or console. They do the same. Bonded by anonymity, we nonetheless care about each other. Strange, isn't it? I wouldn't know any of them if they sat down next to me at a cafe.

I wrote a blog for Women Writers Women's Books [@womenwriters] entitled Age: A Writer's Ally, which they tweeted to their universe, and suddenly I had followers in the UK and Canada, and all over the states. All sorts of writers and thinkers. They commented on my blog, I comment on theirs. We announce our book launches. We encourage each other's words. We applaud our small achievements and minimize defeats. Bonded through tweets.

They speak to me at home on the desk, on the road on the tablet, and at all times on the phone. We are constantly connected in some way, and in that, a truer community than others. Yes, I saw "Her" [a fabulous script.] I appreciate the potential artificiality of technology. But that's the thing about Twitter, it doesn't feel artificial to me. My Twitter crowd is thoughtful and courteous. We are kind to each other, more so I dare say than other communities jockeying for position.

Far more than the posturing on Facebook, the short-form posting is never intrusive. Tweets say you might find this of interest. Or not. I will not post a photo on your page or tag you in a compromising position. I will share in order to inform. You may read or not at your leisure. Respond or not. Or bless my thoughts with favorite status. That's all, no need to comment. No need to flex any muscles.

I don't concern myself with what's trending, that's a whole other sort of Twitter world. I prefer my writers' world. Discreet. Civilized and interesting.

I look forward to the latest tweets. I trust my tweeters. I look forward to followers. I learn something every day and I appreciate their brevity. Twitter works, for me.

And if you are one of my tribe, I will follow you and you can follow me, or not: @ocbookblogger.
Available now in paperback or e-book.
Amazon, B&N, select stores.


2 comments:

  1. Randy, I found you on twitter - Age: A Writer's Ally finally reached me in the Universe with your universal story about all of us who delayed the pull of the pen until we actually had time to follow it. I have now found my tribe! Thank you. See you on twitter

    ReplyDelete